Village Church

ST MARY THE BLESSED VIRGIN 

HARTLEY WESPALL

The date of the original building is unknown, but there is evidence of the existence of a timber-built Nave in the 13thcentury, possibly the oldest example in the South of England. 

The first Rector was Edmund de Bedewyn. He was given charge of the Church on 2’’ January, 1286 by Isabella de Cadurcis, Prioress of Hartford Priory.

Hartley Wespall has enjoyed the Patronage of the Dean and Canons of Windsor since 1482. William Grant Broughton, Curate of this Parish in 1818, became the first Bishop of Sydney, New South Wales, and later, the first Archbishop of Australasia. 

In 1868 the Church was fully restored under George Gilbert Scott, the son of Sir Gilbert Scott. In 1973, the three churches were formally united to become one parish called Stratfield Saye with Hartley Wespall with Stratfield Turgis.

The plane tree beside the lane North of the Lychgate was planted in 1977 to commemorate the Silver Jubilee of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.

The attached document provides more information on this ancient church.
Ċ
Unknown user,
Oct 28, 2011, 1:43 PM
Ċ
HWPC Clerk,
Sep 16, 2019, 2:18 AM
Comments